A new unlock method has surfaced today which claims to work without the need of any software, hardware or jailbreak.
A bug in iOS 5 discovered by Michael Capozzi theoretically allows any iPhone 4S to be unlocked to any GSM carrier. However, Capozzi says he was only able to test with T-Mobile.
We are currently working towards independent confirmation of his method. It does require you to have an active T-Mobile SIM card (with data working). Remember it must be cut to micro-SIM size to fit the iPhone 4S.
● Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
● Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
● Turn on Airplane Mode
● Take out AT&T SIM card
● Insert T-Mobile SIM card
● Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on 'Forget this Network" to make sure it doesn't connect automatically later)
● Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
● Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
● EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the 'E' on the top left corner of the screen
● Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
● Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
● When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
● Eject SIM card
● Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
● Insert SIM card
We are getting some confirmation reports. If you are able to test this, please let us know your results. Remember this method may unlock your device; however, it will not last through a reboot. So while not practical for day to day use. It may benefit those traveling abroad.
Gizmodo is claiming some confirmation as well.
Send us a story or tip @ TipsForLimerain.email@example.com and follow our pages for the latest limera1n, rubyra1n, and all tech stories, follow us on Twitter at @iphonepixelpost or @limerain_com
And like our Facebook page www.iPodSets.com
- Posted using my iPhone 4